Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime

From: Guy Fraser <guy(at)incentre(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum and 24/7 uptime
Date: 2001-07-12 23:36:51
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

Mark wrote:

> Is Postgresql ready for 24/7 uptime? Our tests have shown that vacuumdb
> requires downtime, and if one does this nightly as suggested, well, one has
> downtime, 40+ minutes in our case.
>
> My company wants to replace MS SQL Server with PostgreSQL, but we can't
> afford downtime to do database maintenance. Is it possible that we are doing
> something wrong?
>
> What are the plans for future versions of pgsql? Will vacuum be optomized or
> otherwise enhanced to execute more quickly and/or not lock tables?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> PS
> I posted more details to the hackers list.

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Hi

Have you tried creating a duplicating each table then drop the original
and rename
the new one ?

I don't know if that is what you are looking for but dropping a table
and renaming
a table is very quick. The new table should not need to be vacuumed
because all the
tuples are in use.

A quick little script can have this done automatically at an appropriate
time of
the day or night.

I don't have any databases that can't stand a few seconds of down time
around 03:00.

Simple solutions can be more effective than complex solutions {Keep It
Simple Smart}.

Guy Fraser

--
There is a fine line between genius and lunacy, fear not, walk the
line with pride. Not all things will end up as you wanted, but you