Re: [OT] Any major users of postgresql?

From: Alessio Bragadini <alessio(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] Any major users of postgresql?
Date: 2001-07-05 07:32:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joe Brenner wrote:

> Sorry to bug the list with something a bit off topic, but
> I've been scrounging around for some examples of someone
> doing some fairly serious work with postgresql, and haven't
> yet been able to turn any up. Someone here must know a few
> off the top of their head...

It probably depends on what you call "serious". Anyway, the project I am
working on is a online community for alternate investments and is built
around a PostgreSQL (first 7.0, now 7.1) database: it's
<http://village.albourne.com> but unfortunately most of it is limited
only to subscribers so there is not a lot db-related to see. It's
PostreSQL + Apache + mod_perl on Digital Unix.

Another site is <http://www.animalhouse.it>, an Italian web site about
pet news and tips made by some friends of mine. It runs on a custom
content management system, again on the PostgreSQL + Apache + mod_perl
combination on Red Hat Linux. Being sponsored by a major portal, a lot
of hits are expected, but the site is brand new so no data is available
now.

Apart from the obvious wins of data integrity, transactions, etc. both
sites benefit from a number of SQL functions like triggers, foreign keys
with cascade behaviour, custom functions, and especially views, that
were simply not available under MySql. From all these, I would pick
views: I simply cannot see how you can arrange a coherent db design
(especially for a web project) without using views.

Hope it helps.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini alessio(at)albourne(dot)com
APL Financial Services http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"
-- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925