Re: [HACKERS] JDBC adaptor issue

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] JDBC adaptor issue
Date: 2001-06-25 22:49:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

This is an interesting problem. And I can't think a any easy
solution. But given TOAST in 7.1 the existing implementation doesn't
make sense IMHO My suggestion would be that the get/setXXXStream
methods work on TOASTed data types and get/setBlob be used for Blobs.

As far as your patch, I don't see that as a generic solution. It is
equally likely that a Blob could contain less than 8190 characters, or
a varchar could contain more that 8190 characters in 7.1. Using this
number as a magic switch to decide whether the driver uses the BLOB
API or not just won't work in the general case.

thanks,
--Barry