Problems upgrading from 7.1beta4 to 7.1.0

From: James Moore <jam(at)memeticsystems(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems upgrading from 7.1beta4 to 7.1.0
Date: 2001-06-20 16:46:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Yesterday I attempted to upgrade a system running 7.1 beta4 RPMS that I
built from the SRPM to 7.1.0 RPMS built from the SRPMS. I assumed that
since the version number difference was minor I wouldn't have a problem
upgrading the server but when I tried to start it up it complained about
PG_CONTROL being set to 0 when the backend was set to 71. I created a
new data directory and copied global/pg_control to my old data
directory. When I tried starting it again it says

DEBUG: open(logfile 0 seg 2) failed: No such file or directory
DEBUG: Invalid primary checkPoint record
DEBUG: open(logfile 0 seg 2) failed: No such file or directory
DEBUG: Invalid secondary checkPoint record
FATAL 2: Unable to locate a valid CheckPoint record
/usr/bin/postmaster: Startup proc 16406 exited with status 512 - abort

Any ideas?

--

-James