Re: Spliting a table/databases between several disks ?

From: Feite Brekeveld <feite(dot)brekeveld(at)osiris-it(dot)nl>
To: Bo Lorentsen <bl(at)tod(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Spliting a table/databases between several disks ?
Date: 2001-05-21 19:58:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Bo Lorentsen wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> I have been planning using the PostgreSQL database using a somhow large
> database (and therefor some large tables). While doing this i really
> like to know if it is possible to split data in a database og even a
> table between several disks ?

If you have databases that large that they don't fit on a single disk
(nowdays 75 Gb !) you definitely should consider to look for a RAID level 5
solution. For instance using 7 disks of which 2 hot-spares. With the 75 G
disks you would get to about 350 G diskspace which is logically seen as one
partition.

> I have tried to look into this problem, and it looks like it is possible
> to make several databases using different locations, but as I can see it
> It is not possible to use databases together.
>
> It would be --- Hmmm, funny to be able to fx. enherit a table from one
> database to another, as this could help.
>
> I hope I'm not too much off track.
>
> Regards
>
> /BL

Feite Brekeveld