Re: C compiler cannot create executables [FROM pgsql-ports]

From: Peter <peter(at)helpnet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: C compiler cannot create executables [FROM pgsql-ports]
Date: 2001-05-14 09:53:05
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hello Stuart,
Thank you for the message. I installed Cygwin 1.3.1 following the
FAQ_MSWIN and the FAQ seems to be for an earlier Cygwin, before Cygwin
gained the Installsheild style installation. One of the developers is
updating the FAQ.

I did not exclude anything from the Cygwin install, just clicked Next,
Next, Next. Next weekend I may rerun the install and see what the
options are.

I selected UNIX file format when asked by Cygwin but there was an error
that is reported to be caused by Cygwin installing files in DOS format
instead of UNIX. Looking at the file mounts, some are binary and some
are text. I have not changed that because there is only one file that
gets installed the wrong way and I can change that in seconds with
PFE32.

I think the FAQ needs an update each time Cygwin changes and should have
something like "tested on Cygwin 1.1.1". I would be happy to contribute
testing on NT and updating the FAQ but, do not understand C, I would be
hopeless at trying to figure out what the software is actually doing,
based on the code. Instead of trying to learn C, I should conserve my
remaining brain cells for something far easier like curing cancer or
understanding GST.

Peter