Documentation problem in postgresql-7.0.2

From: John Summerfield <summer(at)os2(dot)ami(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Documentation problem in postgresql-7.0.2
Date: 2001-05-11 12:51:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

My application runs slower than a month of Sundays.

I found, quite by accident, that I need to "Turn off auto-commit."

Nowhere, and I've even resorted to running grep over the documentation,
can I find any cluse as to ahow I "Turn off auto-commit."

I don't understand why I should have to "Turn off auto-commit," - I
think it should be off by default as the way it operates at present I
can see causing worse problems that just rotten performance, but that
aside, users need easy-to-find information about how to "Turn off
auto-commit."

I suggest that every point where commit and rollback are discussed,
there should be information about how to "Turn off auto-commit," even
if only a link.

Besides fixing the documentation for everyone, I'd like some information
now about how to "Turn off auto-commit." Otherwise I fear my program is
going to run for weeks.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my
disposition.