Oracle to Pg tool

From: Gilles DAROLD <gilles(at)darold(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Oracle to Pg tool
Date: 2001-05-09 16:20:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

As I previous searched a tool to convert Oracle database to PostgreSQL
and really found nothing, there's now a piece of perl code I've written
that
can become a great tool to do this job.

It currently extract the database schema table definition of an Oracle
database
and output a sql script to import into postgresql. You simply provide the
DBI
connection to the Oracle DB and the script do its best. It normally handle
unique, primary and foreign keys.

I need help to go further because I really don't know about Oracle and I go

very slowly. Also I did not have so much Oracle database to test with.

Things to do are:

- Extract grants (coming soon)
- More precision in type conversion based on length (I've no good DB to do
that)
- Extract triggers and internal function.
- Extract datas.
- SQL queries converter.

For extracting data if someone know a way to dump content of an Oracle DB
in ascii. I don't found anything than binary dump. Extracting them with
perl/DBI
can be very slow but if there's no other way...

You can found this tools at:

http://www.samse.fr/GPL/ora2pg/

Regards