Translations and How-To-Do-Buttons ?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Translations and How-To-Do-Buttons ?
Date: 2001-05-08 10:35:24
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good process to follow when attempting to
translate sites into Non-English langages, especially ones based on
Totally Different font glyphs than the English ones?

The reason I ask, is there are now the beginnings of Simplified Chinese
and Russian translations of the Techdocs site at :

Chinese - Thanks to Weiping He <laser(at)zhengmai(dot)com(dot)cn>

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/gb2312/

Russian - Thanks to Yuri Kozlov <y_kozlov(at)chat(dot)ru>

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/koi8-r/

Although the actual pages are in the correct languages, the buttons are
still english. If I do a cut-and-paste into Photoshop of translated
text, Photoshop has *no idea* of these other languages, and procedes to
give the same character mapped into an English glyph set. Very Wrong.

So... please someone have good hints or ideas about creating correct
buttons in this situation. :)

I'm all ears... er... eyes!

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift