Re: SAP-DB

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SAP-DB
Date: 2001-04-29 17:12:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Don Baccus wrote:

> Hi guys,
> >
> > I've used the open source SAPDB and the performance is pretty damned
> > impressive. However, 'open source' in application to it is somewhat
> > deceptive, since you have to make it with SAP's proprietary build
> > tools/environment.
> >
> > In my opinion, however, it would be worth closely auditing SAP DB to see
> > what postgres can learn.
>
> I downloaded it. The directories are two characters in length, the
> files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal. Need
> I say more. :-)
>
> I swore I'd never post to the hackers list again, but this is an amazing
> statement by Bruce.
>
> Boy, the robustness of the software is determined by the number of characters
> in the directory name?
>
> By the languages used?

[Snip]

My guess is that Bruce was implying that the code was obfuscated. It is a
common trick for closed source to be "open" but not really.

I don't think it was any sort of technology snobbery. Far be it for me to
suggest an explanation to the words of others, that is just how I read it.

--
I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.