Returning tuple(s) from C-Functions

From: Philip Poten <philip(dot)poten(at)linuxteam(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Returning tuple(s) from C-Functions
Date: 2001-04-27 11:14:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi.

I'm into programming a function for pg for searching a ldap directory.
But this whole effort has absolutely no sense, if i don't find a way to
return _at least_ one whole tuple from a C-Function, e.g.

create function foobar(footable)
returns bartable
as '/var/lib/pgsql/data/foobar.o'
language 'c'
;

and i return a pointer to a tuple or something?

This is what the FAQ says about it:

5.3) How do I write a C function to return a tuple?

This requires wizardry so extreme that the authors have never tried it,
though in principle it can be done?

Is this answer still correct? Is there a way to do it with 7.1?
Can i write to a temporary table in this function and insert into the
backend somehow?
I'm not expecting too much people having this done, but if anyone did
it, please reply...

tia,
Philip

--
| | Philip Poten|\ \ | | | | | | \ \/ / YL
| | Unix Operator \ \| | | | | | \ \/ i
| |_+43/1/91 999 - 207 | | |_| | /\ \ n
|___philip(dot)poten(at)linuxteam(dot)at_/ / /\ \ e