SQL Where Like - Range it?!

From: Sterling <smullett(at)omeninc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL Where Like - Range it?!
Date: 2001-04-26 22:54:47
Lists: pgsql-general

H-

I've found the docs on how to select a list of rows from a table were
all the records have a last name starting with 'W%'.
select * from table where last_name LIKE 'W%'

What I'd like to do is pull a list of records where there is a range of
last names; say from A - F.
select * from table where last_name LIKE 'A%' AND last_name LIKE 'F%' -
for example.

The above code I've tried for this doesn't seem to work as I'd expect it
too?
I've even done
select * from table where last_name LIKE 'A%' AND LIKE 'F%'

Can anyone provide some details or insights on how to accomplish this?

Thanks. Much appreciated.
-Sterling