caching/ virtual file systems

From: "Clayton Vernon" <cvernon(at)enron(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: caching/ virtual file systems
Date: 2001-04-26 22:55:07
Lists: pgsql-general

A newbie question as I prepare to dive into this:

Under $PGDATA, can I expect to see subdirectories emerge within databases, say for INDICES, TABLES, etc?

The reason:

On Solaris,

I have some RAM in /tmp I want to employ as a virtual file system to increase the performance of PG. I've mounted the software in /tmp/pgsql/...., and I would also like to mount some of the data files here as well. Since PG will create files I will need for the symbolic links to be at the directory level, so I was wondering if anyone had developed any "tricks" to get certain blocks of data files to fall into subdirectories?