Re: Report: PostgreSQL 7.1RC4 works on SGI Irix 6.5

From: Mark Dalphin <mdalphin(at)amgen(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Report: PostgreSQL 7.1RC4 works on SGI Irix 6.5
Date: 2001-04-11 16:32:42
Lists: pgsql-ports

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Mark Dalphin writes:
>
> > Back in January, Tom Lane asked if I (or anyone) could compile PostgreSQL on
> > Irix with gcc. I have finally gotten around to try and I have failed.
>
> Compiling PostgreSQL on Irix with GCC won't work because of a GCC bug (so
> SGI claims). Therefore it seems no one ever bothered to introduce support
> for it in PostgreSQL.

Ok, but GCC is continually evolving. Does SGI state which version of GCC has
this bug, or are we talking about a "design decision" where SGI and Gnu differ?

I thought this was worth trialling because there seems to be several messages
per year from people who try to compile PostgreSQL under Irix, using GCC.
[Personally, I find the native CC to be excellant and it seems to make fast
code, however, it appears that many people can't or won't buy the native CC
license.]

I suggest that if PostgreSQL can't be made available via GCC under Irix, then
the binaries should be made available ("Who'll bell the cat?"). There has been
some correspondence with the people at the SGI "freeware" site; has that been
formalized so that recent versions of PostgreSQL are available? I'm thinking
something like an email to them at the time of a major release? I suppose that I
could CC them with my report of a successful compile, but as I am outside of the
developer's circle, I feel that is a bit presumptuous.

Mark

--
Mark Dalphin email: mdalphin(at)amgen(dot)com
Mail Stop: 29-2-A phone: +1-805-447-4951 (work)