OID

From: Scott Goldstein <sdgoldst(at)MailAndNews(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: OID
Date: 2001-04-02 03:26:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello. I'm new to pgsql and I've read (perhaps not thuroughly) the
docs/FAQs/archives and I have a few questions.

1. A large object has the data type OID. What then, is the data type of the
instance object identifier? Is it an int4?

2. How would I create a table such the following select statement will return
the instance object indentifier along with the other columns:

SELECT * FROM table_name

Up to this point, I can only retrieve the object instance identifier by doing
the following:

SELECT oid,* FROM table_name

3. Suppose, from tableA, I wanted a column that references an instance from
tableB. I would like this reference to contain the instance object identifier
of the instance from tableB. What data type do I use for this column? I
suppose this is related to question 1.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

"Just a mirror for the sun...
My smiling eyes are just a mirror for the sun."