Re: PG 7.0.3 & RH 7 IPC problems?

From: DHSC Webmaster <webmaster(at)dhs-club(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG 7.0.3 & RH 7 IPC problems?
Date: 2001-03-29 17:20:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

It would appear that either my icps is not working or that everything is
alright.
(don't know enough about what to expect to know!)
bash-2.04$ ipcs

------ Shared Memory Segments --------
key shmid owner perms bytes nattch status

------ Semaphore Arrays --------
key semid owner perms nsems status

------ Message Queues --------
key msqid owner perms used-bytes messages

bash-2.04$

Tom Lane wrote:

> DHSC Webmaster <webmaster(at)dhs-club(dot)com> writes:
> > [postgres(at)atl01371 data]$ nohup postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -i
> > -B 128 -N 64 > /usr/local/pgsql/data/logs/log.txt
> > IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001,
> > size=2048000, permission=600
>
> Not sure about Linux, but on HPUX there are two possible reasons for
> shmget to return EINVAL:
>
> [EINVAL] size is less than the system-imposed minimum or
> greater than the system-imposed maximum.
>
> [EINVAL] A shared memory identifier exists for key but the
> size of the segment associated with it is less
> than size and size is not equal to zero.
>
> In other words, you could get this if there is an old segment of smaller
> size and the same key still laying about, which there might well be if
> you were foolish enough to kill -9 the old postmaster. Use ipcs and
> ipcrm to check and clean up.
>
> 7.1 uses a slightly different approach that hopefully avoids this
> particular failure scenario...
>
> regards, tom lane

Bill MacArthur
Webmaster