PG 7.0.3 & RH 7 IPC problems?

From: DHSC Webmaster <webmaster(at)dhs-club(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PG 7.0.3 & RH 7 IPC problems?
Date: 2001-03-29 15:13:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm running 7.0.3 on a double pentium 733 RH 7 box with 512M ram.

We quickly ran up against the default 32 max. connection limit since it
is a backend DB for our web server. When trying to increase the buffers
and connections as advised in the docs, I got the error:

[postgres(at)atl01371 data]$ nohup postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -i
-B 128 -N 64 > /usr/local/pgsql/data/logs/log.txt
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001,
size=2048000, permission=600
This type of error is usually caused by an improper
shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
FATAL 1: ShmemCreate: cannot create region
[postgres(at)atl01371 data]$

Since Redhat says that version 7 supports IPC and we have increased
shared memory to 128 meg without solving the problem, does anyone have a
positive experience with this scenario to share?

Here is a partial list from sysctl -a
vm.kswapd = 512 32 32
vm.pagecache = 2 15 75
vm.buffermem = 2 10 60
vm.overcommit_memory = 0
vm.freepages = 256 512 768
kernel.sysrq = 0
kernel.shmall = 33554432
kernel.shmmax = 134217728
kernel.rtsig-max = 1024
kernel.rtsig-nr = 0
kernel.acct = 4 2 30
kernel.modprobe = /sbin/modprobe
kernel.printk = 6 4 1 7
kernel.ctrl-alt-del = 0
kernel.real-root-dev = 2054
kernel.panic = 0
kernel.version = #1 SMP Mon Feb 5 14:36:22 EST 2001
kernel.osrelease = 2.2.17-14smp

--
Bill MacArthur
Webmaster