Re: Database shutdown

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Christian Marschalek <cm(at)chello(dot)at>
Cc: "[GENERAL] PostgreSQL" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database shutdown
Date: 2001-03-24 11:06:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Christian Marschalek wrote:

> Hi all of you! :o)
>
> I guess I do have to shut down the database before shutting down the
> linux box?
> How would I accomplish this?
> Just by killing the postmaster per pid?

Be careful with that - there's a page on this in the admin's guide. You
should have a pg_ctl script somewhere though so you can just do:

pg_ctl stop

Also has flags for smart shutdown, options starting PG etc - see man pg_ctl.

You might consider putting a postgres start/stop script in your runlevel
startups so Linux will start/stop it for you automatically.

- Richard Huxton