Re: Tests randomly failed

From: Justin Clift <aa2(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Justin Clift <jclift(at)iprimus(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alexander Klimov <ask(at)wisdom(dot)weizmann(dot)ac(dot)il>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tests randomly failed
Date: 2001-03-22 23:55:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Tom,

I know what you're saying, but I've come across it multiple times.

The process for building a Solaris server for PostgreSQL is (from
memory) :

A) Install the OS
B) Install the latest Maintenance Update
C) Install the latest recommended patches
D) Adjust system values for semaphores and shared memory
E) Do an initial lockdown for system security
F) Reboot for the new settings to take effect
G) Create postgres group and postgres user
H) Compile postgres
I) Run the regression tests
J) Lockdown system again
K) Reboot, test startup scripts, etc
<etc>

If I'm working very late and can't find the semaphore settings, then
sometimes I'll do them out-of-order.

A number of times I've totally forgotten to change things until
PostgreSQL complains either in the regression tests (as described in
this thread) or during normal startup.

We're talking a few times anyway, probably about.... um... 15 - 20 times
or so that I've forgotten.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift