Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions

From: Orion Henry <orion(at)trustcommerce(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fast Inserts and Hardware Questions
Date: 2001-03-14 20:15:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Orion Henry writes:
>
> > The indexes will be
> > int8 (primary key)
> > int4 (group number)
> > timestamp (creation date)
> > int4 (customer id)
>
> Since one query can only use one index per table, you should only need the
> customer_id index, given the queries you listed.

Isn't that was multi-column indexes are for?

I have 100's of customers but millions of database entries. If I have
to I'll make a table for each customer, big_table_5 and big_table_6
etc... but this seems to be a terrible hack and the database should be
able to do things like this for me.

Orion Henry
CTO TrustCommerce
orion(at)trustcommerce(dot)com