Re: AW: Proposed WAL changes

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: Proposed WAL changes
Date: 2001-03-08 00:46:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> >> But what possible reason is there for keeping it in pg_control?
> >> AFAICS that would just mean that we'd need special code for setting it,
> >> instead of making use of all of Peter's hard work on GUC.
>
> > I don't think it's appropriate to edit archdir by hand.
>
> Why not? How is this a critical parameter (more critical than, say,
> fsync enable)?

I don't think 'fsync enable' is a critical parameter.
It's a dangerous parameter and it's not appropriate
as a GUC paramter either. Does it have any meaning
other than testing ? IMHO recovery system doesn't
allow any optimism and archdir is also a part of
recovery system though I'm not sure how critical
the parameter would be.

Regards,
Hiroshi Inoue