Backing up with Postgres

From: Luke Tudor - RSG <ltt(at)pml(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Backing up with Postgres
Date: 2001-03-01 17:15:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear Postgres Users,

I am currently having great difficulty working out the reason for an
unexpected error message!
The message occurs when a unix cshell script runs to backup the
database.
The script pipes in the user name and password to pgdump which does
work, and then tries to backup
to a specific filename.

When the script runs, the error "getTables(): relation 'genuser': cannot
find function with oid 773217 for trigger check_user" appears.

(1) Insufficient Permissions? :The first thing I thought is that the
user may not have permissions: This still happens
running as superuser, and defiantly no permission restraints.

(2) Faulty Trigger? : I have dropped and recreated the trigger, still no
joy. It solves the problem, but then another
trigger appears with the same message.
The Trigger takes the form below (Trigger check_user, attached to
genuser table)

CREATE TRIGGER check_user
BEFORE DELETE ON genuser
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE
check_foreugn_key(1,'cascade','userid','webuser','userid');

What puzzles me, because Im not really that good at SQL yet is; what is
an oid?

Any pointers or answers with why this is happening, and maybe a way
forward greatfuly received!
I have tried looking at the manuals, but so far unsuccessfully.

--

Thanks for your ongoing support, -- Take Care and until next time Keep
Smiling!

Justin Hayward "That's the way, that's the way of the world".