Re: Can PostgreSQL be a mail backend?

From: Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>
To: "Morten W(dot) Petersen" <morten(at)esol(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Chris Ryan <chris(at)greatbridge(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Can PostgreSQL be a mail backend?
Date: 2001-02-27 13:56:14
Lists: pgsql-general

We're looking at porting GNU Mailman to use Postgres as a backend,
breaking off the mail handling functionality into free-standing Python
scripts, and allowing for a separate presentation layer as well... looks
promising so far. We'll be doing the development on our greatbridge.org
website - I know Chris (cc'ed) would love to have some help. Some
people in the Mailman community have expressed interest as well...

Morten W. Petersen wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> I'm wondering if postgres could be capable of acting as a
> mail storage. This would imply storing messages, from
> 1KB to > 100MB in size. The expected volume is 4000
> messages a day, and the database may store up to,
> lets say, 500000 messages.
>
> Could postgres cope with this? (How is the support for
> big data fields now BTW?)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Morten

Ned Lilly e: ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com
Vice President w: www.greatbridge.com
Evangelism / Hacker Relations v: 757.233.5523
Great Bridge, LLC f: 757.233.5555