Re: Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

From: "Christoph Appel" <c(dot)appel(at)t-online(dot)net>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98
Date: 2001-02-07 09:02:44
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hi Jason,

> Chris,
>
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 03:44:57PM +0100, Christoph Appel wrote:
> > The test as well as the server just hang without producing any further
> > error messages.
>
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:37:55PM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > The tests usually hang during the "parallel group (18 tests)" test
> > right after numerology. By "hang," I mean that the original postmaster
> > is still running, but there are no postmaster children, and there are
> > some number of psql processes hanging around.
>
> Please do a ps. Are you sure that you don't see some psql processes
> hanging around?

Well, the one 'hanging' psql process is there (I'm talking of the
serialized test, so this looks reasonable to me). I then terminate the
test via CTRL-C.

The postmaster is also still there, but without any children. The
postmaster can be shutdown via 'pg_ctl stop' (without producing any
further error messages; I got rid of the IPC err messages by applying
the sem and shm patches I noticed in the mailing list). Like the
ipc-daemon, the postmaster has to be shut down and restarted in order to
be able to run the test again. Without restarting the two, a new run of
the test will hang right at the drop old regression database. In this
case there is a postgres child hanging around which does not even react
on a TERM, and postmaster will not shut down before KILLing the child.
(With postmaster I mean the original postgres process.)

Under 7.0.3 the test hangs at 'create_aggregate'. When taking out some
.sql file before 'create_aggregate' it will pass 'create_aggregate' but
hang somewhere later. By taking out a number of .sql files I will
eventually pass all (remaining) tests.

> Use NT's TaskManager (specifically the Performance tab), what is the memory
> usage during the regression tests. Are you running out of memory?

Sorry, no NT TaskManager under Win98. Do you know some tool or method I
can check this?

> Thanks,
> Jason

Hth, Chris