Re: design

From: KuroiNeko <evpopkov(at)carrier(dot)kiev(dot)ua>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: design
Date: 2001-01-30 16:55:12
Lists: pgsql-general

> Each user can have up to 4
> different mailing address. Is it better to have all this information in
> one table. Or is it better to have a user table and an address table,
> and have the user id as a foreign key in the address table?

It's even possible (recommended by the books) to have separate tables for
streets, cities, states, countries etc. However, normalisation up to, say,
4NF ain't easy to implement and support. I'd also apprectiate someone
sharing real life experience.
As to your particular problem, I'd definitely start with having users
separated from addresses. Especially if the database would complicate and
other user info is likely to be stored in your DB.