Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Date: 2001-01-29 04:44:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> No one has suggested a location non-root people can put the socket/lock
> file, except /tmp, and IMHO, until we find one, the default stays in
> /tmp.

Since RPM's _must_ be installed by root, that doesn't affect them. The
debian packages are the same way. As long as the RPM contains the
structures set as owned by 'postgres' (the default run user for
postmaster), and the appropriate permissions are set, the directory
could be anywhere, such as /var/run/pgsql. But there are of course
problems with that approach, because libpq makes some hard-coded
assumptions about where to look.

I have no problem with the default being in /tmp, just like I have no
problem with the default source installation being in /usr/local. But I
do think that the code should be smart enough to handle non-default
settings without major problems.

And I'll kindly not exaggerate the importance -- but I would have seen
reports had the simple fix not been applied.

But I'm not going to spend any more time arguing about it, that much is
certain. I've got other fish to fry, like beta4 RPM's.....
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio