Re: AW: Re: MySQL and BerkleyDB (fwd)

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: AW: Re: MySQL and BerkleyDB (fwd)
Date: 2001-01-22 22:10:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> sounds like something that should be handled at the application level
> though ... at least the concept of 'access to other db manufacturers' ...
> no?

If and when we will get functions that can return rowsets (IIRC Oracle's
RETURN AND CONTINUE)the simplest case can be easily implemented by
having
a user-defined method that just does the query for the whole table (or
for rows where "field in (x,y,z)"

Then putting this in a view and then using it as a table should also
be quite simple (or at least possible ;).

Only after that should we start optimizing ...

Hannu