well, this is a newbie list...

From: Richard Tidd <tidd(at)IMCS(dot)rutgers(dot)edu>
Subject: well, this is a newbie list...
Date: 2001-01-04 15:13:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have a question regarding the creation of users (I think). Anyway, I
am running Mandrake 7.2, which installs postgres during the linux
install. I see during startup that the postmaster is started. I got
the following result:

[rick(at)fuller ~]$ createdb mydb
psql: FATAL 1: SetUserId: user 'rick' is not in 'pg_shadow'
createdb: database creation failed

I assume that this means that my user id is not yet valid under
postgres. The section in the admin document labelled "Creating Users"
is empty. The documentation does talk about "becoming user postgres".
I am not sure what I need to do for this either.

Please help.

Rick