Re: Re: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare
Date: 2001-01-03 00:40:03
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > One big advantage of MySQL over PostgreSQL
> > right now is ease of upgrading.
>
> Yes, that is a good point. We are clearly
> fixing/improving the storage system, while
> MySQL has been able to keep the same one
> for many years.

Also, MySQL seems to have done a fairly good job
of abstracting the storage management, so that
they can support multiple storage managers.
They're exploiting this right now to develop
new storage systems while maintaining support
for the old ones during a transition period.
It also permits them to support features such
as in-memory temp tables and should simplify
implementing a distributed database at some
future date.

- Tim