geoobj type

From: Franck Martin <franck(at)sopac(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, fmaps-devel(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net
Subject: geoobj type
Date: 2000-12-28 01:42:30
Lists: pgsql-general

For the people interested, I have just commited in CVS of FMaps a new
PostgreSQL type called geoobj.

It is a very early release as I want to have early feedback.

It is not complete and has many bugs, but it should give an overview of
the type and the coding of it. It tries to follow the OpenGIS
specification, but it is not compliant, as the OpenGIS specification has
been made by database developers and not GIS people.

I will try now to index the type using GIST, when done, then I will add
some other object types in the spec.

For the moment you have:

POINT (1 2 3)
LINESTRING (1 2 3, 4 5 6, 7 8 9)
POLYGON((1 2 3,4 5 6, 7 8 9, 3 4 5))

I'm trying to have objects that are easy to implement using OpenGL.

To get a copy of the code: go to http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/ got to
the CVS repository and go to FMaps/src/geoobj/

Or directly:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/FMaps/src/geoobj/?cvsroot=fmaps

The fmaps application is not yet using this type so it is broken till it
uses the new type....

Cheers
Franck(at)sopac(dot)org