Re: PHP and PostgreSQL

From: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
To: Adam Lang <aalang(at)rutgersinsurance(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PHP and PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-12-27 22:22:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Adam Lang wrote:

> I thought I saw mention on the interfaces list that the ODBC driver needed
> to be modified to properly use the large objects.

You normally wouldn't use ODBC to access Postgres from PHP but rather
the Postgres-specific interface. You _can_ use ODBC as well but normally
that doesn't provide any advantage. If your concern is database
abstraction, there are several libraries for PHP that provide it in
varying degrees, ODBC would be just one, possibly not optimal, solution
for the problem. Generally, from following the PHP lists and looking at
columns on, for instance, phpbuilder.com, PHP folks don't seem to
concerned with the abstraction issue, as far as I can make out anyway
(just my impression). Rasmus' question, IMHO, was about the PHP/Postgres
interface, not about ODBC.

- Frank