Re:

From: "Jimi Thompson" <jthompson(at)link(dot)com>
To: Cassandra Stinson <stinson(at)arch(dot)cs(dot)umsl(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2000-12-20 00:47:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Please refer to my post from yesterday asking that the answers to this
be added to the FAQ - the subject line is "Perl & Postgres".

It is very similar to what I went through myself recently with mod_perl,
perl, apache, and postgres. I'd recommend compiling Perl, Postgres, the
DBD-95, and/or DBIx from scratch and not using binaries, as well. If
you are planning to use this as a web application, I highly recommend
adding Apache Toolkit to the mix. --->>Patch your OS to bring it
current, and it should work like a charm. It should also at least
partially configure itself, which is bonus. You can install mod_perl,
registry, and fastcgi from toolkit all in one fell swoop.

HTH,

Jimi

Cassandra Stinson wrote:

> This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for sun4-solaris
>
> Copyright 1987-1999, Larry Wall
>
> Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
> GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0 source kit.
>
> Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
> this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to the
> Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.
>
> Summary of my perl5 (5.0 patchlevel 5 subversion 3) configuration:
> Platform:
> osname=solaris, osvers=2.7, archname=sun4-solaris
> uname='sunos 5.7 generic_patch sun4u sparc sunw,ultra-1 '
> hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
> usethreads=undef useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef
> Compiler:
> cc='gcc', optimize='-O', gccversion=2.8.1
> cppflags='-I/usr/local/include'
> ccflags ='-I/usr/local/include'
> stdchar='char', d_stdstdio=define, usevfork=false
> intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8
> d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16
> alignbytes=8, usemymalloc=y, prototype=define
> Linker and Libraries:
> ld='gcc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib'
> libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
> libs=-lsocket -lnsl -lgdbm -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt
> libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
> Dynamic Linking:
> dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
> cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-G -L/usr/local/lib'
>
> Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
> Built under solaris
> Compiled at Jun 27 1999 20:12:35
> @INC:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005
> .
> The version of postgreSQL is v 7 and the corresponding pgsql_perl5 that came
> with perl /postgreSQL.
>
> We are getting a bus eror everytime that we run using the "use Pg;" module. In
> our log file we get the message that the script header is terminating
> prematurely. Is there a possibility of corruption? All other modules work fine
> and we have reconfigured several times to alleviate the problem. We are
> compiling origionally with gcc on a Sun system. Would you happen to have
> heard of this problem?
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Cassandra Stinson
> UMSL