Re: Sample databases?

From: Jeff Hoffmann <jeff(at)propertykey(dot)com>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sample databases?
Date: 2000-12-19 19:33:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Perhaps we can create a substantial test database? (Millions of records,
> > many tables, and a number of relations.) So when we see a problem, we
> > can all see it right away. I like "real world" data, because it is often
> > more organic than randomized test data, and brings out more issues. Take
> > index selection during a select, for instance.
>
> The regression database is such a beast, but is not large enough for the
> millions of records kinds of tests.
>
> Suggestions?

maybe the Tiger database. it's certainly big enough & freely
available. if you're not familiar with tiger, it's a street database
from the census department. you can find it at
ftp://ftp.linuxvc.com/pub/US-map. it's in plain text format, but
trivial to import. it's set up in several (at least a dozen tables)
which are heavily interrelated & sometimes in fairly complex ways.

--

Jeff Hoffmann
PropertyKey.com