Re: Tuple data

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Richards <miker(at)interchange(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tuple data
Date: 2000-12-17 22:27:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> ALTER ADD COLUMN doesn't touch any tuples, and you're right that it's
> critically dependent on heap_getattr returning NULL when an attribute
> beyond the number of attributes actually present in a tuple is accessed.
> That's a fragile and unclean implementation IMHO --- see past traffic
> on this list.

Short of redesigning the whole storage format I can see no better way to
allow
ALTER ADD COLUMN in any reasonable time. And I cna see no place where
this is
more "fragile and unclean implementation" than any other in postgres --
OTOH it is quite hard for me to "see the past traffic on this list" as
my
"PgSQL HACKERS" mail folder is too big for anything else then grep ;)

The notion that anything not stored is NULL seems so natural to me that
it
is very hard to find any substantial flaw or fragility with it.

Hannu