Re: OK, does anyone have any better ideas?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Andrew Snow <als(at)fl(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OK, does anyone have any better ideas?
Date: 2000-12-10 12:25:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice

Andrew Snow wrote:

> Could you perhaps post the code you have for splitting a text field up into
> keys, then I could work on turning into a new type of index with a new
> operator, as Tom suggested?
>
> (Or is this already what the text search code in contrib already does??)

I think that splitting the text is the least of the problems.

I've been contemplating integrating my own (currently BSDDB based)
full-text-index with postgresql and I've come to the conclusion that
the index proper should work on already split list-of-words (so it could
be
made to work with any array types easily)

So my suggestion is to start working on an inverted-index on a field of
any
array type.

Or even better - start digging in the indexing interface of PostgreSQL
first
documenting it (the current docs just state that it is too complicated
for
anyone to comprehend ;) and then cleaning it up and making it thus
making
it easyer for any kind of new index to be written.

Hannu