trying to pattern match to a value contained in a column

From: Beth Gatewood <bethg(at)mbt(dot)washington(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: trying to pattern match to a value contained in a column
Date: 2000-12-07 21:05:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi-

I can't figure out how to do this....

I examine a table where I think that one attribute is an abbreviation of
another attribute.

So-If I had a table where I had LONG_NAME and ABBR as attributes.

I want something like

SELECT whatever FROM my_table WHERE long_name LIKE '%[the value of ABBR
in that row]%';

Of course this doesn't work...

Any thoughts?

Thanks-