pg_pconnect - Really persistent ?

From: Hervé Piedvache <herve(at)elma(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_pconnect - Really persistent ?
Date: 2000-12-06 11:29:00
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi,

I have some troubles with the pg_pconnect function ...

All my PHP scripts are using pg_pconnect but apache seems to not using
the persistent connection ... ?
I mean that when I make a small script usign a pg_pconnect, and a simple
select ... I open 2 browsers and call many time my scrip, I look for the
backends of postgresql and I see many backends opened !

If I try for example to limit the backend to 35, and run an ab (apache
bench) to call the page ... after the 35 connections opened postgresql
say there is no more connection possible ... ok ! but why the
persistents connexions are not re-used ?

Does someone could explain me how I have to do ... ?

In same time I have also try with php.ini to refuse the pgsql
persistents connections but they seem to run !? what this option is for
?
I also try to limit the number of connections also in php.ini to 5 for
example ... and I open 35 postgres backends with any trouble !! :(

Thanks for your answers ...

regards,
--
Hervé