Re: beta testing version

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-03 22:30:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mlw wrote:

> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > > I know this is a borderline rant, and I am sorry, but I think it is very
> > > important that the integrity of open source be preserved at 100% because
> > > it is a very slippery slope, and we are all surrounded by the temptation
> > > cheat the spirit of open source "just a little" for short term gain.
> >
> > Do you mean that anyone who has contributed to an opensource project
> > should be forbidden from doing any closed-source development ?
>
> No, not at all. At least for me, if I write code which is dependent on
> the open source work of others, then hell yes, that work should also be
> open source. That, to me, is the difference between right and wrong.

That may be so, that the world as a whole is not that far yet. If
open-source
is going to prevail (which I believe it will do), it is not because it
is
"right", but because it is a more efficient way of producing quality
software.

> I honestly feel that it is wrong to take what others have shared and use
> it for the basis of something you will not share, and I can't understand
> how anyone could think differently.

There can be many many reasons you would need to also write
closed-source code.
BSD license gives you that freedom (GPL does not).

By distributing your code under BSD license you acnowledge that the
world is
not perfect. This is not the way of a true revolutionary ;)

Don't let that scare you away from contributing to PostgreSQL though,
You could
always contribute and keep your code under different license,
GPL,LGPL,MPL, ...
It would probably not be integrated in the core, but would very likely
be kept
in contrib.

Hannu