Re: beta testing version

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-03 22:17:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > I know this is a borderline rant, and I am sorry, but I think it is very
> > important that the integrity of open source be preserved at 100% because
> > it is a very slippery slope, and we are all surrounded by the temptation
> > cheat the spirit of open source "just a little" for short term gain.
>
> Do you mean that anyone who has contributed to an opensource project
> should be forbidden from doing any closed-source development ?

No, not at all. At least for me, if I write code which is dependent on
the open source work of others, then hell yes, that work should also be
open source. That, to me, is the difference between right and wrong.

If you write a program which stands on its own, takes no work from
uncompensated parties, then you have the unambiguous right to do what
ever you want.

I honestly feel that it is wrong to take what others have shared and use
it for the basis of something you will not share, and I can't understand
how anyone could think differently.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com