Re: beta testing version

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-03 21:48:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Don Baccus wrote:
>
> > > I *am* one of those volunteers
> >
> > Yes, I well remember you screwing up PG 7.0 just before beta, without bothering
> > to test your code, and leaving on vacation.
> >
> > You were irresponsible then, and you're being irresponsible now.
>
> Okay, so let me get this one straight ... it was irresponsible for him to
> put code in that was broken the last time, but it wouldn't be
> irresponsible for us to release code that we don't feel is ready this
> time? *raised eyebrow*
>
> Just want to get this straight, as it kinda sounds hypocritical to me, but
> want to make sure that I understand before I fully arrive at that
> conclusion ... :)

IIRC, this thread woke up on someone complaining about PostgreSQl inc
promising
to release some code for replication in mid-october and asking for
confirmation
that this is just a schedule slip and that the project is still going on
and
going to be released as open source.

What seems to be the answer is: "NO, we will keep the replication code
proprietary".

I have not seen this answer myself, but i've got this impression from
the contents
of the whole discussion.

Do you know if this is the case ?

Hannu