Re: Implementing mod_perl, Perl 5.004, and Postgres

From: "Jimi Thompson" <jthompson(at)link(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implementing mod_perl, Perl 5.004, and Postgres
Date: 2000-11-30 20:59:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am posting this because it will probably help someone else out. There are about a zillion different
flavors of the Pg.pm. This has proven to be a real hair-puller for me and I am hoping this saves
someone else some time.

To Dana: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I haven't had time until now, to really get
my teeth back into this thing again. I tried to install it from the command line as you suggested,
but CPAN says that it isn't sure which module I want. I searched manually and found 3 that would seem
to qualify. I have tentatively ruled out the third one because I am running 7.0.2 and not 95.
However, this leaves me with items 1 and 2.

As soon as I determine which one is really "it", I will add to this posting to let everyone know. In
the mean time, someone might want to mention this in the FAQ somewhere, especially if they know which
module is "correct" or have some way to differentiate between all of them. More reading and empirical
testing on the way.

PgSQL-0.51: "Pure perl" interface to PostgreSQL [ download / quickinstall ]
CPAN directory: G/GT/GTHYNI (Göran Thyni)
Category >> Database Interfaces >> PgSQL

perl: Perl5 extension for PostgreSQL [ download / quickinstall ]
CPAN directory:M/ME/MERGL (Edmund Mergl)
Category >> Database Interfaces >> Pg

Postgres-1.4: Perl interface to the Postgres95 SQL database engine [ download / quickinstall ]
CPAN directory: V/VK/VKHERA (Vivek Khera)
Category >>Database Interfaces >> Postgres

--
Jimi Thompson
Web Master
L3 communications

"It's the same thing we do every night, Pinky."

Attachment Content-Type Size
jthompson.vcf text/x-vcard 186 bytes