Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info

From: Elmar Haneke <elmar(at)haneke(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info
Date: 2000-11-30 18:59:07
Lists: pgsql-general

martin(dot)chantler(at)convergys(dot)com wrote:

> I am not sure what an ole db provider is? This must be another method of
> talking to the server from a client application. What advantages does it have?

If you intend to use ADO you need an OLE-DB provider.

> I have the open source ODBC client (and I know a Java version exists), it seems
> ok but I don't know if it handles things like transactions and other advanced
> functions.

The ODBC midht cause some "interesting" trouble since VisualBasic
tends to open multiple connections to the Server. This has tow
disadvantages:

1. While using transaction isolation (not reading uncommitted data)
you cannot read the data written on one connection over another one.
If this does happen you might not immediately notive the rubbish
happening.

2. With 100 users it might significant if there are 500 simultaneous
connections open. At leas you have to raise the connection-limit.

Elmar