Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: martin(dot)chantler(at)convergys(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info
Date: 2000-11-30 16:17:38
Lists: pgsql-general

martin(dot)chantler(at)convergys(dot)com schrieb:

> Thanks for responding,
>
> I suppose what I was really asking is if PostGreSQL works 'as good' as
> other databases like Oracle. The rumour I heard implied that I would have
> problems trying to run PostGreSQL with a lot of clients
>
> As for the queries:
> I have a 6000 record customer file and a bigger file containing orders
> The VB programs randomly retrieved records with a like clause on the first
> letter of the customer name
> E.G. B%, F%, Z%. This SQL also had a join to the order file and returned a few
> hundered records at a time
> The slow SQL I entered simply returned the MAX value for a column in the order
> file. This did seem to lock things
> down, perhaps p-sql was just being cautious or maybe it just slowed everything
> down quite a lot?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> M Chantler

In my opinion PostgreSQL is even better than Oracle. Postgres has some nice
features I missed in Oracle (eg. sending large amount of data to the SQL-Loader
via pipe).
MAX: As fas as I know, PostgreSQL can't use an index in combination with max on a
certain column. I read somewhere that this is going to be changed in a following
versions (is it already fixed in 7.03 or 7.1 beta ???).

Hans