bytea not recognized by JDBC (7.0.2)

From: Olivier Jeannet <jeannet(at)montrouge(dot)tt(dot)slb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: bytea not recognized by JDBC (7.0.2)
Date: 2000-11-28 16:41:51
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I have a problem with JDBC (postgresql.jar) and Postgres 7.0.2 . The
client is under Windows NT with JDK 1.3, and Postgres is running on
SuSE Linux 6.3 (kernel 2.2.13).

Here is my table :

create table TRANSACTIONS
(
APPLICATION_SOFTWARE_RELEASE bytea not null,
);

I insert a row (using JDBC) with success :

insert into TRANSACTIONS(APPLICATION_SOFTWARE_RELEASE) values('0005');

I select a row (with JDBC) :

select APPLICATION_SOFTWARE_RELEASE from TRANSACTIONS;

and I get the following error :

Error while processing order (select APPLICATION_SOFTWARE_RELEASE from
TRANSACTIONS ) : No class found for bytea.

How can I select a "bytea" field ?
Is there a workaround for this, or a patch ?
Is this a bug of the JDBC driver (or a not implemented feature) ?

I have looked at the mailing-list but didn't find the answer to my
problem.

Regards,

--
Olivier Jeannet - e-Payment solutions
I prefer not running 32 bit extensions for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit