a script that queries database periodically

From: Bernie Huang <bernie(dot)huang(at)ec(dot)gc(dot)ca>
To: PHP_DB <php-db(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net>, PHP_General <php-general(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net>, PGSQL-SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PGSQL-GENERAL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: a script that queries database periodically
Date: 2000-11-27 19:22:45
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Hello,

My boss wants me to write a script that will send a email report to him
monthly with the result of database queries.

For example, an email would be like:

Monthly report
+----------+---------+---------------+
| Vehicles | Mileage | # of Signouts |
+----------+---------+---------------+
| Vehicle1 | 10324 | 5 |
+----------+---------+---------------+
| Vehicle2 | 19384 | 6 |
+----------+---------+---------------+

I was thinking of writing up a PHP script and put into crontab, which is
somehow easier than a shell script, but PHP is an apache module, so I
cannot execute PHP under crontab (it has to be executed in a browser
right?). I guess a shell script is necessary. So, is it possible to
call 'psql' and returning its query result and I can use sendmail to
email the result? Any other idea?

Thanks.

- Bernie

Attachment Content-Type Size