Re: 7.0.3 BUG

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)fc(dot)emc(dot)com(dot)ph>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: 7.0.3 BUG
Date: 2000-11-27 08:16:42
Lists: pgsql-sql

> >> ERROR: copy: line 3910, Bad timestamp external representation
> >> '2000-01-05 00:00:60.00+08'
> >> Weird because those timestamps were generated by default now().
> Is there a work-around to this aside from manually changing the dump file?
> Distribution Version: Linux Mandrake release 7.2 (Odyssey) for
> i586
> It was shipped with Mandrake-Linux 7.2
> >> migrate=# select version();
> >> version
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> >> PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc 2.95.3
> We can be sure that the compiler is relatively bug free because it was
> used to recompile the entire Linux distribution...

Ah ha (or rather, ha ha ha)! I'd suggest using the RPMs posted on the
postgresql.org ftp site, which include a sample .rpmrc file which fixes
disasterous bugs in Mandrake's default compiler settings for building
RPMs. Specifically, Mandrake sets the -ffast-math flag, which the gcc
folks warn is not compatible with -On optimizations. When I build RPMs I
kill the fast-math option, and the rounding troubles go away.

The rounding trouble does not show up on other platforms or Linux
distros because no one else ignores the gcc recommendations to this
extent :(

- Thomas