Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many...

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many...
Date: 2000-11-25 00:07:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> that contains only (or mostly) words like that. But I've got strong
> doubts that the average user of a default RedHat installation expects
> *all* data to get sorted that way, or that he wants us to honor a
> default that he didn't ask for to the extent of disabling LIKE
> optimization to make it work.

The change in collation for RedHat >6.0 is deliberate -- and conforms to
ISO standards. There was noise in an unmentionable list at an
unmentionable time about why it was this way -- and the result was a
seesaw -- it was almost turned back to 'conventional' collation, but was
then put back into ISO-conforming shape.

Ask Trond (teg(at)redhat(dot)com) about it.

> I suppose we could do it that way and add a FAQ entry:
>
> Q. Why are my LIKE queries so slow?
>
> A. Change your locale to C, then dump, initdb, reload.
>
> But somehow I don't think that'll go over well...

Methinks you are very right. Very right.

I am not at all happy about the 'broken' RedHat locale -- the quick and
dirty solution is to remove or rename '/etc/sysconfig/i18n' -- but that
doesn't cure the root issue.

Oh, and to make matters that much worse, on a RedHat system it doesn't
matter if you build with or without --enable-locale -- locale support is
in the libc used, and locale support gets used regardless of what you
select on the configure line :-(. Been there; distributed that in the
6.5.x 'nl' RPM series.

But it sounds to me like you're on the right track, Tom.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio