trouble migrating from 6.3.2 (IRIX) to 7.0.2 (Linux)

From: George Armhold <armhold(at)cs(dot)rutgers(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: trouble migrating from 6.3.2 (IRIX) to 7.0.2 (Linux)
Date: 2000-11-22 19:18:18
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm trying to migrate from PostgreSQL 6.3.2 under IRIX to version
7.0.2 under RedHat 7.0. I've dumped my old database with
"pg_dumpall -o > db.backup", but I'm having problems restoring this
data to the new machine. I'm using "psql -d template1 < db.backup" to
restore the data, but I'm getting parse errors from psql:

> You are now connected to database template1.
> SELECT
> DELETE 0
> DROP
> You are now connected to database template1 as user postgres.
> CREATE DATABASE
> You are now connected to database armhold as user postgres.
> CREATE
> DROP
> You are now connected as new user armhold.
> psql:/home/armhold/db.backup:13: ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "-"
> psql:/home/armhold/db.backup:14: ERROR: Relation 'pfam' does not exist
> psql:/home/armhold/db.backup:20: invalid command \.

I get similar results if I dump the individual databases one by one.
I'm running the stock Postgres install that comes with Redhat 7. I've
applied all the available errata patches for Redhat. Should I expect
this to work, moving from IRIX to Linux, and from
Postgres 6.3.2 to 7.0.2 at the same time?

Thanks for any help.

--
George Armhold
Rutgers University