Re: Persistent Connects (pg_pconnect)

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: Itai Zukerman <zukerman(at)math-hat(dot)com>
Cc: Colleen Williams <colleen(at)digital-arts(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Persistent Connects (pg_pconnect)
Date: 2000-11-22 15:46:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

Itai Zukerman wrote:

> Not sure if this is related, but under the non-threading Apache
> server, you get 1 persistent connection per Apache process. I don't
> think you can be sure which process gets the page with the connection
> request, so if you have a limit of, say, 50 processes, and your server
> is hit fairly often, eventually you'll see 50 connections even though
> only a few simultaneous accesses to PHP/PostgreSQL are made.

One way to work this out is to use a webserver that is fully
multithreaded, with pooled connections to the database that can be
shared among threads as needed. This yields much superior performance
and saves a ton of resources.
One example of such type of webserver that has been fully multithreaded
and under heavy use since 1995, and has a PHP4 module is AOLserver, that
powers mighty aol.com and digitalcity.com (with mere 32 K hits per
second).
AOLserver also has a built-in database abstraction layer and Tcl
interpreter (with the option of caching compiled code of scripts), and a
comprehensive API for building massively scalable dynamic websites.

More info at http://www.aolserver.com

-Roberto
--
Computer Science Utah State University