Re: Strange problem upgrading to 7.0.3x

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange problem upgrading to 7.0.3x
Date: 2000-11-17 17:18:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > The result of 'rpm -qa|grep postgres' would be educational here.
> [root(at)salmo rshepard]# rpm -qa | grep postgres
> postgresql-server-6.5.3-1
> postgresql-test-6.5.3-1
> postgresql-7.0.3-2

> "Aha, I said. The rpm database thinks that postgresql-server, and -test are still
> installed." Then I tried to erast the server:

Ok, do the following steps:
rpm -e --nodeps --noscripts -- force postgresql-server postgresql-test
postgresql

What is happening is that, since the uninstall scripts for server are
not completing, the server uninstall is failing -- producing the results
you have seen.

Once you have verified with rpm -qa|grep postgres that there are no more
postgresql RPM's on your system, then you will need to clean out the old
6.5.3 data directory (rm -rf /var/lib/pgsql).

Now you should be able to install the new RPMset.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio